Urinary tract infections and, specifically, cystitis are a problem for many women. In fact, more than 50% of women will have at least one episode of UTIs in their lifetime. But even some of them will suffer 3 or more infections a year. Therefore, there are many women who, throughout the year, suffer urgent and frequent need to urinate, pain when doing so, pain in the side and even fever and chills.
Taking into account these figures together with the annoying symptoms they produce, they indicate the importance of knowing different treatments to manage urine infections. Cranberry can help us prevent these infections. But, in addition, with the use of probiotics we will be able to balance our intestinal and vaginal microbiota, in order to prevent the recurrence of urinary infections.
In addition to being a delight for the palate, the cranberry is an extraordinary food that provides great benefits. Preventing cystitis is one of them, since it has substances that prevent the adhesion of bacteria in the urinary tract. And how do they get it? Cranberry, grape or raspberry have compounds called proanthocyanidins that have the ability to prevent pathogenic bacteria, especially E. Coli, from attaching or attaching to the bladder walls and causing infection
And how do probiotics help us improve the response to cystitis?
If we control and improve the intestinal balance of our bacteria, specifically E. Coli, we will reduce the risk of urinary tract infections. That is why more and more people are talking about the role of probiotics in the treatment and prevention of urinary tract infections. This role can be preventive and / or adjunctive treatment to antibiotic treatment. And it is especially important in those women with recurrent urinary tract infections.
Therefore, we can say that probiotics protect us against urinary tract infections because:
– Promotes the optimal state of the intestinal microbiota of women. A healthy intestinal microbiota will prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria capable of causing urinary tract infections.
– Promotes the optimal state of the vaginal microbiota. A vaginal microbiota in good condition favors unfavorable conditions in the vagina for the growth and migration of pathogenic bacteria. This makes it difficult for them to reach the urethra.
Healthy habits to prevent cystitis
Urine infection can be prevented by following healthy lifestyle habits:
– Drinking plenty of fluids is essential.
– It is advisable to empty the bladder when the first voiding sensations appear (avoid retaining urine in the bladder) whenever possible.
– A balanced, varied diet with enough fiber is highly recommended.
– The intimate hygiene must be correct, using soaps of adequate pH and avoid too abrasive for the skin and mucous membranes.
– Intimate clothing must be quality and loose. Better that it be made of cotton since it favors that there is a correct perspiration of the intimate area. This way we will be able to avoid the accumulation of humidity that can stimulate the proliferation of bacteria or fungi.
– Sex life must also be healthy.